Saturday, September 10, 2005

Hills, a goat, and a cinnamon roll

62.4 miles - north on back roads to Silver Lake (topped out at 44.8 mph going downhill into the town!), then east to Hart, south from Hart on country roads to Shelby, then the bike path home.

I rode on roads I hadn't been on yet this year, which was nice, except for a few spots on one road that were in really bad shape, and the inevitable recently-chipsealed roads here and there. Eventually I couldn't avoid getting on a main road, but it was only the last couple of miles of the road that drops into Silver Lake, and those miles are all downhill. I know I saw 45 pop up on my computer, but the Max Speed function only gave me 44.8, so I'll call that my new record. A kid in a Suburban gave me a big grin when I finally sat up and started to coast down.

In Silver Lake, though, I took a quick break and bought a fantastic cinnamon roll at a little bakery/pizza place. There was a mom and two teenage girls in there, who mentioned that they'd seen me earlier; I guess those Herman Miller jerseys are pretty memorable. The bakery shuts down for the winter in two weeks, so I've got to head back in that direction a few times! The last weekend they are open there's an apple festival - don't want to miss that. The dry weather should give us small but really flavorfull apples.

I followed the main city street South out of Hart, and climbed, and climbed, and went around a bend and climbed some more. You can see the topography here; the road I was on is the one that curves to the west as it heads south from near the top of the image. Looooots of contour lines in there! I'm looking forward to comparing these to the Asheville hills.

There was a goat in a ditch somewhere out there, too, looking at me dully. Goats are funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home