Wednesday, August 31, 2005

White socks. I'm so ashamed.

Due to a laundry miscommunication, I was forced to ride my 36.8 miles today in white socks. The horror was almost too much to bear.

On the plus side, it was quite a nice ride. I warmed up by riding up the Hart/Montague trail, then in New Era (11.5 miles into the ride) turned left and ground up the Garfield street hill. Boy, that fat cat sure is popular if he's got streets named after him in small town America!* Anyway, it's a nice hill, with three steep sections separated by relative flats. At the top, I felt good, turned around, and rolled down, intending to coast back in to town. Halfway down, a minivan backed out of a driveway, well ahead of me. First, I was annoyed, but quickly realized it was well clear of me - unless I sped up!

The minivan instantly changed from a vague obstruction to a target of opportunity. Up into the big gears, down on the drops, and off I went in search of a draft. I got within about 15 feet, then saw the driver check his mirror. HIs eyebrows went up, he sped up, and I gave chase. We all got up to 41.5 mph, a new record for Ruby, before we both had to acknowledge the stop sign at the bottom. The driver actually let me pass him on the main street; I'd guess this was his first experience being chased by a big guy in a green, yellow, and white jersey (the 2005 Herman Miller jersey) on a bicycle.

Anyway, back on to the trail I went, for a mile or so, then left again for a different road up the same hill. This was Stony Lake Road, aka M20. This climb was steady and smooth, with a clean shoulder as wide as a traffic lane, and over a mile long! Once back at the top, I coasted down the other side, crossed the highway, and headed back home on a fairly hilly road.

Eventually I ended up going back home past the Old Channel Trail golf course, and then to another familiar, fast hill, so I went for it again, and got even higher this time - 42.5 mph, an all-time, all-bike record for me. Wheeeee!

These are, unfortunately, stubby little Michigan hills. I've gotta wonder how I'll hold up on the roads around Asheville...

*yeah, yeah, yeah, President Garfield, yada yada yada.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Derek,

There is a Garfield Street in Charlevoix, too. That guy really got around!

I enjoyed reading your blogs and shall be sending you a donation for your ride. Good luck in North Carolina.

Sincerely,

Virginia Leonard Ewing

8:36 PM, September 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home