Friday, August 12, 2005

Bee: 2. Me: 1.

33 miles from the Herman Miller Design Yard to the south side of Saugatuck and back.

So I'm heading for Oval Beach, nearing the steep hill that goes over the dune to the beach. I'm plugging along nicely, looking at the boats, looking at the houses, feeling the wind, feeling the road, feeling OUCH! OWIE! What the...? I start yanking on my jersey near the bottom of my ribcage, where it feels like I'm getting a good sliver. And then YYYYEEEEAAAARRRGGGGHHHH! Right on the spare tire! It's hard braking with one hand while the other hand is fending off a vicious attack from an unknown assailant. Finally I get stopped, yank out my jersey, and see the corpse of a bee fall out. His/her/it's stinger, complete with the back end of the bee, is stick in my belly to the right of my navel, still pumping in venom. Little bugger apparenly got me twice before losing it's stinger and getting somewhat squished by my self defense efforts. Natually, this is about as far from my car as I'll be today, so I ride back to the Design Yard with a sore stomach. It still hurts, a few hours later.

Do bee stings make you sleepy? I dunno. The only other times I've been stung recently I was mowing and stirred up a nest in the ground, and I was happy to sit on the couch for a few hours aferwards anyway. I can barely keep my eyes open now. Admittedly, that my have more to do with a certain lack of sleep in the last week, and missing my morning coffee because of a meeting.

I guess there's a downside to the jerseys that unzip to my navel; in scoop mode, I might get more than air in there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home